Saturday, August 20, 2011

Per Chance to Sleep

When I close my eyes to sleep, I don't know who or where I am. All that I know is that my hazel nakedness is making various points of contact with the bed and bed sheets. Peace and expansiveness are the pervading qualities.

Then I will hear, say, the sound of the air conditioner, and I will remember my name and where I am for a few moments. Those memories will disappear, and there will simply be the darkness that is within that ever-present limitlessness. A voice may then be heard passing my apartment's door, and once again "Rodney" and his persona will fleetingly appear.

My passage to sleep proceeds like that every night, with me disappearing and appearing--and then vanishing all together, when I fall into deep asleep, where there are neither dream objects nor waking objects (which we experience in our waking state)--just presence itself. And because there are no objects, nothing is perceived. You only remember or intuit your having received genuine rest and serenity during the night.

Oddly, I have to be careful not to think about anything related to nonduality when I'm slumbering. Otherwise, my brain kicks into auto-drive. Pointers, analogies, and entire paragraphs of words will emerge into that space we call the mind. One idea or clarification will rapidly set off another. That's why talking about this is just as easy for me as writing about it--the words are already there, welling up. It's merely a matter of my repeating and/or clarifying them.

Occasionally, I will reach for my digital recorder by the nightstand when some choice pointer appears. At other times, I won't, thinking that that particular fact or suggestion is so good that I'm bound to remember it when I wake. But I don't, of course. And that's a tragedy--for it might have been the key for someone to see that there isn't a single lock to open. Indeed, that isn't even a door! All there is is OPENNESS. And you-are-That.

-----

News & Info

Tami Brady reviewed A Vastness All Around on her TCM Reviews page.

~~~~~

"A Vastness All Around is, hands down, one of the best books out there on nonduality. Thank you for all of your writing." --Alex Taylor

~~~~~

Here's a review of the Kindle Edition of Vastness on Amazon.

~~~~~

Nonduality Magazine has published a discussion with Rodney about his work and book. The extensive and wide-ranging interview was done by John LeKay, the magazine's editor.

~~~~~

"Loved the book, Rodney. Enjoyed it as much as John Wheeler's first book, Awakening to the Natural State. My favourite quote of yours was "you are no more your personal history than you are your toothbrush." I like the fact that you included little tidbits of your life and surrounds. It felt more like reading a book on travel or history than some of the other textbook style books on nonduality. I think for anyone serious about a direct approach, your book and John Wheeler's are the two to have." -- Ian

~~~~~

A Vastness All Around: Awakening to Your Natural State is Rodney's first collection of essays, discussions, interviews, and powerful pointers. It can be ordered directly from the publisher at Lulu Press.

~~~~~

Vastness is now available for the Amazon Kindle! Order Here.

~~~~~

And for the book's Press Release, click Here.

~~~~~

If you would like to meet Rodney, have him to discuss nonduality, sign books, or read, you can email him at: writerguy@fastmail.fm Such events are self-organized, so funding is key, with groups and universities that can cover travel expenses getting priority. And much appreciation!

~~~~~

John Wheeler's site is no longer up. But earnest and serious seekers can reach him at: johnwheeler111@yahoo.com

~~~~~

This blog is generally updated every Sunday afternoon, Eastern Standard Time.

5 comments:

Durandal Arauz said...

I really enjoyed this, thanks!

Rodney Stevens said...

I appreciate that, Durandal. :)

Leslie said...

I, too enjoyed this Rodney...as I do all your writing,. Not too many have written about the sleep time. Thank you. ♥

Guru said...

Awesome post!!! For me your 'day-in-the-life-of Rodney' posts create that 'pause' more than simply pointers. :)

Rodney Stevens said...

And thank YOU for taking the time to write! :)